24 January 2013
Star centre back Gemma Bonner gives an insight in to why she chose Liverpool Ladies, her views on some of the players and her hopes for the upcoming 2013 WSL season!
Gemma Bonner Interview:
1. First things first…. What’s your position and how did you first get in to football?
I’ve always played from a young age! I first played in primary school and joined a local club at the age of 7!
2. Who has had the most influence on your footballing career and why?
My parents definitely, they’ve always supported me in every way possible, they’ve given up so much time and driven me hours and hours to enable me to play and train right across the country!
3. What sacrifices have you had to make to be able to play football in the highest domestic league the FA WSL and to represent your national team?
Football takes up a lot of time, with training and playing so much and trips away with England, the sacrifices I have to make are mainly social wise and I get to see my family a bit less than I’d like too.
4. On the flip side, what are the advantages of playing women’s football at these levels?
Football has given me the opportunity to travel right across the world, and I get to play against some of the best players in the world. It’s really good to be at a club like Liverpool in the FA WSL which is really going places and is backed financially by the men’s club.
5. What lured you to Liverpool ladies football club?
The ambition and drive of the club to be successful is second to none and the plans they have in place to do this really impressed me.
6. How are you settling in?
I’ve found it really easy to settle in as I already knew most of the players!
7. Out of your team mates who would you (and why):
A. Who would take the longest to get ready for a night out? –I’d have to say myself, I take ages(twitter @gembon23!)
B. Think is the most vain? I would have to say Caz (twitter @cazcharlton17), she’s got her ‘good’ side for photos….apparently.
C. Has the most banter? Fara’s not bad, even if she does carry her farm yard of a wardrobe around with her!(twitter fara_williams47).
D. Best dancer? Lucy Bronze, she likes to think she can Dougie. (twitter @LucyBronze).
E. Best goal celebration? We found out recently Whitney can do a good one, like the Muteba Kidiaba celebration in the African cup of nations in the Ghana vs Congo game!(twitter @WhitneyEngen).
8. Where are you expecting Liverpool to finish this season in the FA WSL?
I’m hoping for at least a top half finish!
9. Which team/s do you most want to beat this season?
Arsenal! If you beat them you’re in with a great chance of success!
So that’s another interview done with centre back Gemma Bonner, thank you for your time and to all the twitter followers that sent in some questions. For all the up to date gossip and news follow @LFCLadies on Twitter!